Kriya yoga is a rite, a ceremony, a method, a sadhana. It is an ancient, scientific and time-tested means to harmonize naturally occurring energies within the human framework so that they resonate with the more subtle underlying energies. It is a method of refining one’s physical, psychic and mental forces so that individual awareness can penetrate the depths of one’s nature. It systematically ‘sharpens the point’ of individual being.
Swami Satyananda Saraswati
Topic 1 | Naturopathy | Part 1
Naturopathy is a system of medicine which aims at restoring health and eliminating disease
by building up the vitality of the body. Few of us have the experience of good health; we assume that because we are not actually ill, then we are healthy. But there is a vast spectrum of states between health and disease; not just black and white, but a thousand shades of grey.
Good health is a state of physical and mental well-being, where a person experiences buoyant spirits, abundant energy and the complete absence of body pain. All organs and body systems work efficiently, cell metabolism is normal and all the vital processes of the body are being properly maintained. In addition, there are good reserves available to enable the body to suffer stress and privation for a considerable time without breakdown. The level of vitality is high and potential for work excellent.
Disease, on the other hand, is a morbid process where the cell metabolism of one or more organs has deviated from the normal path. This derangement of metabolism is commonly caused by:
- Dietary imbalance and deficiency
- Poor living habits, such as shallow breathing, lack of exercise, rushed meals, negative thinking
- Stress due to nervous tension, sudden environmental changes, occupational pressures.
In naturopathic theory, all disease first appears at the cell level of the body. Typical stages of a disease process are:
- Mineral and vitamin concentrations fall
- Enzyme action slows; vital enzymes cease to function
- Metabolism slows and alters
- Metabolic wastes build up
- The cell membrane degenerates
- Inflammation and pain are produced as warnings
- Bacteria manifest and multiply, feeding off the waste
- Toxins produced by the bacteria cause further cellular injury
- Cell membranes disintegrate, the action of the organs is seriously impaired and their integrity is threatened
- Degeneration of the organ sets in.