Stage 1: abdominal contraction
In this preliminary stage one must master the following:
- Madhyama nauli where both the rectus abdominii muscles are contracted centrally.
- Vama nauli where only the left rectus abdominus muscle is contracted.
- Dakshina nauli where only the right rectus abdominus muscle is contracted.
These three practices are done separately one after the other. When they are perfected then one proceeds to stage 2
Stage 2: abdominal rotation
This second stage is the full form of nauli. It consists of two parts:
- Rolling movement of the abdominal muscles from left to right.
- Rolling movement of the abdominal muscles from right to left.
For a beginner this rolling or churning movement has to be seen to be believed. It appears as if the rectus abdominii muscles are rolling across the front of the abdomen.
In this topic we will describe stage 1 and in the following lesson, stage 2. Do not attempt stage 2 without first of all mastering stage 1.