Yoga may not cure a broken leg, but can help to prevent hernia. Yoga alone may not cure bilbarzia, but it can help to treat countless other ailments. It can treat all types of mental disorders, from which stem a large array of ailments. It can be used to treat cancer, polio, diabetes, constipation, asthma, high blood pressure, sexual malfunctions, anxiety, arthritis, backache, rheumatism, colds, coughs, epilepsy, varicose veins, piles, flatulence, migraine, pyorrhoea, sciatica, sinusitis, slipped disc, gastric ulcers, indigestion, insomnia, eczema and a multitude of other diseases. There are many authenticated cases of people who now have perfect health, having once suffered from some disease and removed it through regular yoga practices.
Yoga tackles diseases in the following manner:
- Massages and improves the efficiency of the internal organs through asanas.
- Tones up the nerve connections by asanas.
- Improves the blood circulation through asanas.
- Improves respiration and general vitality of the body through pranayama.
- Cleans the body of impurities through asanas, pranayama and the shatkarmas such as jala neti, shankhaprakshalana, kunjal kriya and so on.
- Relaxes the mind and body through scientific relaxation techniques such as shavasana and yoga nidra.
- Removes mental suppressions, phobias, neuroses, and all other negative aspects of the mind. This brings about greater happiness in life and removes many diseases.
Yoga methods simultaneously influence both the body and the mind. It is for this reason that yoga methods are so effective in treating a wide range of diseases.
Yoga techniques are also a great help in maintaining the body in good physical shape. In other words, yoga is good preventative medicine.
It is your duty to gain first class health, not only for yourself, but so that you can participate positively in the world. If you are ill then you will tend to be self-centred; this must be the case. It is difficult to practise bhakti yoga, karma yoga and so forth with enthusiasm and effort if you are stricken with some chronic ailment. It is also almost impossible to practise kriya yoga if you are ill. The first thing you need in life is health, so if you have a disease, any disease, take immediate steps to remove it. Adopt any means, any healing system that is suitable, available and which brings results, without causing other problems in its wake. Yoga is one of these systems.