Topic 5 | Yoga Nidra (Part 1)
Yoga nidra is a practice which can be widely applied in the modern world to improve the quality and happiness of human life. It is a simple yet profound technique and has been used in the following fields:
- Relaxation: yoga nidra is the best, cheapest and most permanent method of inducing deep relaxation of the entire human structure and personality.
- Meditation: it is a meditative technique.
- Psychological problems: yoga nidra acts directly in eradicating deep-rooted psychological complexes, neuroses, inhibitions, etc. It is an advanced psychiatric tool.
- Psychosomatic ailments: yoga nidra helps to remove a vast number of ailments that are predominantly mental in cause, such as high blood pressure.
- Sleep: yoga nidra induces and improves deep sleep. It is a non-chemical tranquillizer that quickly removes insomnia.
- Physio-psychological rejuvenation of the entire human organism can be brought about by yoga nidra. The physical, pranic and mental levels of man are directly recharged.
- Mind exploration and awakening: yoga nidra opens up the potential of the mind and also awakens the faculty of intuition.
- Learning, education and intelligence: yoga nidra is a profound educational tool. Through investigations and tests, it has been found to bring extraordinary improvements in both the absorption and retention of information from external sources as well as the tapping of knowledge within one’s own mind. It heightens intelligence in all meanings of the word.
Yoga nidra has a vast number of other applications. It is a panacea for the tension-ridden world of today. It can be practised by everyone, young and old, male or female. It is thoroughly scientific and tested. It requires no belief or blind acceptance of a dogma. It only requires practice.
In this and the following lessons we will describe the various aspects and applications of yoga nidra, together with comprehensive, yet easy to understand instructions on practice1.